Thursday, July 22, 2010

EOC Week 2: Ethics in Commercials

The company manufactured by Procter and Gamble, Old Spice has put out products of male antiperspirant, deodorant, fragrances, and other grooming products. Although, many don’t know that their first products were for females. Their products have been around for so long that most people know what they are when they hear their brand name. Many of the commercials they’ve put out for the company has been very traditional, depicting the American man in need of smelling like a man. There are a series of commercials that they had recently put out featuring comedic actor, Terry Crews (who starred in Friday after Next and as our future president in Idiocracy). In comparison to other Old Spice commercials they've put out, this series has got me wondering what this guy is on. Not only will Old Spice block body odor, but if my husband uses it he’ll have an uncontrollable sense of power. In my eyes that might not be such a good thing. The result of this is he’ll think he has power, go crazy, and beat things up. In my opinion and many others who I have shown these commercials to, Terry Crews seems to be portraying a guy on steroids or any other type of illegal substance. In my view Old Spice, is selling itself as either something of that sort or even a product a male could use that will cover up the scent of an illegal substance. That idea, in no way, shape, or form, should be put in my head in a commercial shown on national TV. I’m sure if it were a product I was trying to sell, it’s not what I would want either. On the other hand, that might be the reason why I haven't seen a lot of these commercials played, only a few times since April. Watch them and see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment